Todd W. Elliott*

*Passed the Bar
in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
You Get a Free Consultation
If You Are Considering Our Firm to Handle Your Case in Western Pennsylvania at Our Hourly Fee.
You have a 4 year period to sue for breach of contract, 2 years for negligence, and 1 year for defamation, and 6 months to give formal notice to a government entity of your intention to sue.

You must sue the correct party within the limitation period, meaning, if your dispute is with a business that is incorporated, you must sue the corporation, not its individual owner. Likewise, if the business is not incorporated, you must sue the owners, not merely the company name.

Be careful about the date the actual date of the statute of limitation. If you merely send a letter or making a claim in the small claims court (in Pennsylvania known as Magisterial District Court), that's not enough. You have met the requirements at law when you have filed your civil Complaint in the county department of court records (not the magistrate court) delivered the Complaint to the Sheriff for service of process.

For example, if you file a breach of contract case (4 year statute) in the Magisterial District Court on a claim three years and eleven months old, and you were not able to get service of process on the defendant within the four years, you will be precluded form maintaining your claim if the defendant claimed that he or she has the protection of the statute of limitations. However, the same is not true, if you had filed in the Court of Common Pleas. There, as long as the Complaint is filed before the end of the four year period and service has been attempted, the defendant cannot claim the protection under the statute of limitations.
Retain a PA lawyer for appeals from district justice, magistrate court or small claims court. The mission of our Pittsburgh PA attorneys is to help local and out of state clients. Contact our Pittsburgh Lawyers for answer to frequently asked questions. Call our Pittsburgh PA lawyer about affordable pricing for eviction of tenants, home and building repair disputes, and collection of money owed or breach of agreement to pay a debt.
Home repairs damage to propery, Mechanics Lien
of PA?
No Problem
Collect money owed, or defend against claims
in court
Landlord rights tenant rights, security deposit,
claims court, out
of state litigants,
PA actions
Call or Email Any Time Rapid Response Line
Free Consultation
Pittsburgh Lawyers
425 First Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219