Can I ignore the other side's appeal?


The short answer is: yes, but you could pay a steep price.

The appealing party will likely get a judgment against you. Then, the Pennsylvania courts may apply against you concepts called collateral estoppel and res judicata. Together, these rules prohibit the re-litigation of issues and claims that were within the scope of a judgment.

Thus, for example, if the other side takes a judgment against you for your failure to respond to the appeal, you may be forever barred from re-litigating any claim or issue that was within the scope of the original proceedings. This can have far reaching consequences.

Moreover, even if you live out of state, a judgment entered in PA can be transferred to your home state for collection. Depending on the laws of your home state, you could face a lien against your property, wage attachment, and other costs and penalties.

For More Help:

Retain a PA lawyer for appeals from district justice, magistrate court or small claims court. The mission of our Pittsburgh PA attorneys is to help local and out of state clients. Our Pittsburgh Lawyers answer frequently asked questions. Call our Pittsburgh PA lawyer about affordable pricing for eviction of tenants, home and building repair disputes, and collection of money owed (by a company or person) or breach of agreement to pay a debt.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
Home repairs damage to propery, Mechanics Lien
of PA?
No Problem
Collect money owed, or defend against claims
in court
Landlord rights tenant rights, security deposit,
claims court, out
of state litigants,
PA actions
Call or Email Any Time Rapid Response Line
Free Consultation
Pittsburgh Lawyers
425 First Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219